Produced By Marilyn Smith-The #1 midwife
July 5th, 2021
Hello mamas ! Are you struggling with trying to find the right type of clothing for your little pumpkin? You have come to the right place and trust me it is the right time for you to find the best baby clothes and accessories that your baby will need. One thing is for sure, you must shop for the little one that is on the way. There are simply no options.
This is a post I certainly enjoyed because I know how difficult it can be to find the right clothing that is economical as well as trendy for your baby. I was here twenty six years ago with my baby girl. My greatest joy is to see you happy with making the right choices in your shopping , by purchasing the most stylish, comfortable, economical clothing ever.
Just so you’d know, Breast Fed Is Best Academy may earn commissions from shopping links. Feel free to use my links for any purchase @ no cost extra to you. Check here for our disclaimer and affiliate policies.
I am going to help you decide what trendy, economical clothing you can purchase at the click of my links. Clothing that will have your little one looking like a star! Baby clothing is everywhere I know and this can be so confusing.
Here are our exciting topics for discussion:
- What is the average cost of a baby’s clothing?
- What are the most popular baby clothes?
- What is the best infant clothing made from?
- What do clothes do preemie’s need?
- What clothes are needed for a newborn?
Do you agree that baby clothes should be simple to put on and take off, and made of soft, machine-washable fabrics that are kind on a baby’s skin? Because babies grow so quickly, focus on purchasing practical everyday items that suit your lifestyle and climate as well as your baby’s. Baby clothes are often divided into two categories: age and gender, with some unisex alternatives available.
What is the average cost of baby’s clothing?
Basically baby clothes can be between $15 for non name brand and about $20 or more for name brand.
With separates averaging $20, expect to pay at least $50 for an outfit.
Designer duds, can cost $100.00 or more.
Robeez, which sells a variety of designs for $35.95 and Stride Rite, which sells a variety of styles for $30-$50 are two popular infant footwear brands.
Accessorize with matching hats or scarves to make your look more expensive.
Shopping for infant clothes: OshKosh B’Gosh and Carter’s are two well-known children’s clothing labels.
Hanna Andersson’s colorful one-piece “Zippers” in organic cotton for $28-$36 may appeal to organic shoppers.
Tutti Bella has a broad assortment of classic rock and metal baby T-shirts and onesies in the $35+ range for current rock and roll fashions.
What is the best baby’s clothing made from?
Cotton is the most popular fabric for infant clothing since it is soft, absorbent, and gentle on a baby’s skin. It’s also available in an organic form, and if you apply heat during the first wash and dry cycle, it’ll shrink by up to 10%.
An all-natural fabric, bamboo is becoming an increasingly popular choice for baby clothes. Thermal-regulating, it will adjust with your baby’s body temperature and is great for layering. It has a host of other fantastic selling points including being hypo-allergenic and anti-bacterial; right along with 100% cotton, this is my favorite fabric for baby and infant clothes.
Cashmere is a high-end textile that can be found in high-end designer infant garments. I don’t recommend wasting your money on any cashmere infant or baby apparel for two reasons: your kid will outgrow it faster than you can blink, and it’s exceedingly difficult to care for, which means your baby will have to avoid spills and messes while wearing it—yeah right! Unless you have a personal maid or laundry service, don’t bother. Other high-maintenance fabrics include linens and hand-knits.
Warm and fuzzy, fleece is often found in baby outerwear and is available in a variety of weights. Great for layering, it’s good for in-between seasons. Fleece dries quickly, is moisture-wicking and is a vegan alternative to wool. Also, it’s virtually stain-proof and super easy to care for, just toss it in the wash with like colors and you’re set.
I always preferred newborn clothes with full zippers or snaps, so they can dress baby without pulling clothes up over the head. There are many tops and brands for newborn clothes offering comfy, cozy clothing without rough seams or awkward buttons that could irritate an infant’s sensitive skin.
To be honest not everyone can afford to pay the prices for these clothing. I will suggest you purchase the these trendy clothing and accessories from the one and only Amazon.
What clothes do preemies need?
Hello preemie mommies! I feel your pain. I have worked four years in the NICU of our hospital and it has given me the real scope of what you are going through or went through as a mom. The
Premature babies are that little group of babies we cannot leave out when it comes to baby ‘s wear. Your preemie may not require a large wardrobe in the early days, as she may spend lots of her time in the NICU in only a diaper, a hat, and possibly some woolly socks.
However, it’s a good idea to have a few layers on hand in case she becomes cold, and those layers should be easy-to-put-on-and-peel-off ones like trouser suits and sweaters. You definitely would also need some pampers, receiving blankets. So you would not need as much clothing as the normal newborn in the beginning.
As your baby grows, you can buy the clothes he/she would need. The staff at the NICU will be able to advise you on what types of garments your baby will require, as micro preemie clothing differs from preemie clothing. There’s no need to buy too many clothes because your kid will outgrow the smaller sizes rapidly. Instead, concentrate on purchasing only a few items in each size she’ll require in the coming months.
What clothes do newborn babies need?
Babies grow very fast! Hence there is no need to buy too many stuff one time. While you may want a few pretty clothes to show off your little one, your baby doesn’t need anything special in the first few weeks, so simple, plain, and budget-friendly clothing will suffice.
At the same time, you’ll be changing outfits frequently because newborn apparel may get filthy rapidly.
Here’s what you will need
- 3-4 baby sleepers or sleep sacks
- 5-7 pairs of baby socks
- 1-2 newborn hats, depending on climate
- 5-8 onesies, or other clothing . This will depend on how often you want to do your laundry.
- Everything clothing here.
- The majority of clinicians still agree that babies can wear their hats for the first few weeks. Remember mamas do not keep baby too warm especially during the summer months. Many moms whom I did home visits with, I found that they often have their infants too hot. I would meet the babies crying and when I assess the poor children, their loving mommies had them in long overalls, undershirts and a cap during the summer. When I took the clothes off the children stop crying.
- 1 bottle of diaper rash cream
- A cloth-diaper detergent, if you will need to wash diapers
- Waterproof pad for diaper changes
- A diaper pail or receptacle
- 2-3 packs of disposable diapers or enough cloth diapers for at least two days
- 1-2 packs of disposable wipes or 12 cloth wipes. Everything diaper here.
Doctors advise giving your infant a sponge wash for the first week or two, or until the umbilical chord falls off. Following that, you don’t have to bathe your infant every day—three times a week or so should be sufficient.
Bathing your baby
Remember mama bathing your child too frequently might cause their skin to become dry and itchy.
- 1 bottle of baby lotion
- A baby bath tub
- 3-5 baby washcloths
- 1-2 hooded towels; adult or medium towels will work too.
- 1 baby sponge
- 1 baby wash. Everything bath here
The grooming kit
The American Academy of Pediatrics recommends that your infant sleep in the same room as you for the first 6-12 months of his or her life, regardless of the bed you choose for him or her (crib, cradle, bassinet, or co-sleeper). 5 Furthermore, bumpers, blankets, cushions, and soft toys should not be used in baby beds.
You will need:
- 3-4 fitted sheets for crib, cradle, bassinet, or co-sleeper
- 1 waterproof crib mattress cover, unless your crib mattress is already fully sealed, or a waterproof pad to lay under the crib sheet
- Baby monitor to watch your baby.
- Crib mattress, a well fitted mattress for the item you baby will sleep in.
Are you breastfeeding?
Mama if you are breastfeeding your little star, you will definitely need :
- A good breast pump
- Breast pads
- Breastfeeding bags
- Breastfeeding bras
- Breastfeeding pillows
- Burp cloths
- Nipple cream. Everything breastfeeding right here.
Or are you formula feeding?
One thing is for certain. If you are going to breast or bottle feed, you will need burp cloths and quite a bit of them. There are so many formulas out there competing. You can find out from your doctor which one is suited for your baby. When I worked in the hospital many moms chose to continue the formula their baby’s started in hospital ( if they tolerated it).
- 10 burp cloths
- 5-8 bottles, if you’re bottle-feeding
- A bottle brush, as you’ll need to wash bottles
- A variety of bottle nipples, in different sizes
- A bottle drying rack or bottle washing dishwasher basket may be optional and handy. Bottle feeding essentials here.
Your gear and furniture needs may include:
To be honest most of us only need a place for baby to sleep and store their clothing! However some of us opt to buy more stuff that we feel may be handy. This could include items like :
- Change tables, dressers, nursery chairs, toy containers, bouncy seats, baby swings, and so on—decorating the baby’s room can be fun. But, if you want, you can wait till your child is more matured and you have a better notion of what they really require. Check out the above links for great baby stuff!
An newborn or convertible version with a lower weight limit suitable for infants is available. According to the Academy of American Pediatrics : “Children should remain in a rear-facing car safety seat as long as possible, until they achieve the utmost weight and height allowed by their seat”. Check out some great car seats here.
Your baby registry can include anything you want. Sign up today!
I hope I did not confuse you, but I did my best to make everything clear just for you. Every mom will have to face the joy of shopping for their newborn. This was one of my favorite things and I hope it is for you.
Try not to go beyond what you can afford. Choose those items that you know will be more useful for you. Thank you for stopping by today. Please like, comment or share this post and I hope it has helped you tremendously. You are free to comment. I look forward to seeing you soon. Here is a sneek preview of my instagram page- marilynsmith_3291