Hello new Mamas, and Mamas-to -be I know you are thinking about that big day when you will deliver your little star. Labor day is a day that is always resident with a pregnant mama no matter where you are on your journey. everyone of course wants the best experience ever. Most of the time when we think of labor, we think of pain, and often the worst. This site contains affiliate links -As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases if you make a purchase.
Today, we are going to learn about some fascinating comfort techniques that really work during labor. I am not a doula, but as a seasoned nurse -midwife of 36 years, I have captivated many proven , scientific techniques that worked during my practice for my clients. Now I want you to know that every woman is unique and not every position is for everyone.
I delivered some clients who to my surprise, did not want to be touched during labor and they did very well. Follow me as we discuss some of the popular easy skills that you can use during labour.
Do I need a partner during labor to help me?
It is always a good idea to always to have some one with you during labor. Labor is an important event and should not be tolerated without some one you are comfortable with or trust. Having someone there makes everything so much better. Some women choose to have a doula while others practice with their partners for the big day. The choice is totally up to you.
Here is a list of things you can do :
- Walking- can help you in many ways. It helps to increase your baby’s passage downwards to the birth canal-speeding up labor. (Paid link here).
- Vocalization & imagination- You have the right to speak positive affirmations and also visualize positive things. No matter what you see or hear, stay in control and positive.
- Hip rocks- Allow your partner to perform some hip rocks by messaging your buttocks in a circular way
- Rocking on a birth ball or in a rocking chair is helpful in your relaxation
- Rebozo use This is an instrument used during labor by a doula under the belly. The rebozo is placed in the back and then place over the shoulder so that mom can grab them. Mom can then slightly pull on the straps to give a little support to her belly.
- Breathing- Breathing in labor is essential because it assists in getting more oxygen to your little super star. When you have contractions oxygen and blood is cut off and returns after the contraction is passed.
- Massaging of the legs, arms, back and hips
- Hip squeezes- This move helps to bring more oxygen to your body during contractions.
- Encouragement- goes a long way in giving you the confidence you need to move forward.
- Explanation –If something is going on you do not understand please ask. Engage if you can in conversation with your healthcare providers. I have met persons in labor who want to talk and others prefer not to say much.
- Using a shower- Oh I have heard and experienced what a shower or bath can do for labor. It really calms one down mentally and makes you feel wonderful
- Using a warm tub– bath- same benefits as the shower -fantastic! Remember not all birthing centers or hospitals have a shower or tub facilities in the rooms, so check on this if you are interested.
- Change your positions regularly- movement in bed is paramount during labor. Do not stay in the same position, sit up, stand if you could.
- Music- I love music! What about you? Music has a way of lifting your mood in a positive way Take some good soothing music along
I hope something works for you.
Attending a childbirth class might help
Seek out a childbirth class that could help you in practicing comfort techniques. You and your partner can get a eel of how to maneuver during the event. Even though it is not the main event, going through the motions can give you some direction of how to move during the event. Like they say practice makes improvement. Also attending a class could give you a heads up of what you could expect at both a vaginal delivery or it you need a caesarean section.
Even though thinking about labor can be uncomfortable , you can become empowered to assist in managing your labor. Become empowered and learn these techniques to help you out. Hope for the best and encourage your partner to practice before the event. Think positive and trust God to deliver you. He promised to be with us in every situation. I want to thank you or stopping by today. Please comment/ like this post if you do and do visit again.
SIGN UP NOW VALUABLE TIPS FOR A GREAT PREGNANT JOURNEY
CLICK THE LINK BELOW